Friday, July 6, 2007

Starving Writer Promotes Regular Maintenance

About seven years ago I was working in the fiber-optic construction business and spent quite a bit of time driving between work crews collecting data. It wasn't unusual for me to log 250 to 300 miles per day and my old 1980 Ford pickup had seen better days. Needless to say, I was thrilled when I inherited a 1995 Dodge Dakota extended cab 4x4. It was five years old and the original owner had obviously taken pretty good care of it.

Since I virtually lived in my vehicle and spent most of my time around utility construction sites, the white pickup was transformed to a dingy grey quickly. Determined to take care of the pickup despite the heavy use and high miles, I got
bi-monthly oil changes and routine maintenance, and I took it to get detailed once a week.

Like many things in this world, the fact that I was earning incredible pay for my job made these preventative maintenance items easy to keep up with. Now that I'm a starving writer who's never sure how next months bills are going to get paid, I don't have the luxury of hiring out those tedious duties, but still appreciate the importance of taking care of a vehicle. Also because I'm a starving writer I know that I can't afford to replace this vehicle.

About every 4,000 miles I go buy oil, filters and various automotive detailing supplies and do the maintenance myself. My odometer has gone from 50,000 miles when I got the pickup to 180,000 miles and still runs and looks pretty good.

Until I find that elusive job that pays a livable wage or get that best selling novel published, I'll be pampering my pickup and changing my own oil. I don't know how long it'll keep going but at 180,000 miles I'm starting to really hope I get that big break soon. All things die eventually -- no matter how well they are cared for.

1 comment:

Promotional Pens said...

A little preventative maintenance goes a long way... What's the ols saying... An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!


Novelty Pens Promotional Pens Shaped Pens